Big Data Developer- Permanent- London- £45k-£80k
My information analytics client based in London is looking to add to their vast engineering team with a Big Data Developer . As a business, they are the global leader in scientific (technical and health) publishing and hold the soul goal of empowering knowledge for the greater good of humanity.
They deploy a series of big data technologies and machine learning models to extract in depth and specific information from various publications to aid the research and development of solutions for some of the worlds most troubling and important issues.
As a Big Data Developer, you will be part of a technical team transitioning out of working proof of concept into production and continuing innovation and product development. This work will directly enhance the ability of the research community to bring solutions to real world problems safely and acurately.
- Translating product requirements into technical software designs
- Breaking software designs into manageable tickets/stories that deliver user value
- Producing high-quality, clean and performant code
- Proving your code works with automated unit, integration and UI tests
- Pairing, code review and ticket verification
- Deploying applications and monitoring their performance
- Leading team consensus on technical practices
- Mentoring developers on new methodologies and optimization techniques
- Working closely with QA on acceptance testing cycles to ensure high quality software
- Creating technical documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- 3 years hands on Scala
- 3 years experience of big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Akka, Mesos or similar technologies.
- Microservices design and implementation with REST / JSON a must.
- Hands on experience with relevancy tuning in ElasticSearch highly desirable.
- Experience with Semantic Web, RDF, OWL, SPARQL & Linked Data highly desirable.
- Knowledge of scraping documents, eg webpages or PDFs desirable.
- Experience with large-scale production databases
- Machine learning experience an advantage.
- Working knowledge of cloud environments especially AWS and automated infrastructure important.
- Practical expertise in performance tuning and scaling in highly available systems.
- Commitment to high quality code using code reviews, pair programming and unit testing.